Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Southern Reading Challenge 2009


It's that time of year again!!

"The time when you pour a glass of lemonade or sweet tea and take your official summer spot on the porch. Lean back in that chase lounge surrounded by geraniums and ferns, and begin the summer long journey into Southern culture."

Maggie hosts this annual event, and while I'm not usually a participant in reading challenges, I look forward to this one!

Here are the rules:

"You may choose to read any style of Southern book such as Appalachian tales, Civil War sagas, Gothic myths, Grit lit, and heart-wrenching biographies. Just as long as you read three (fiction or nonfiction) between May 15th and August 15th."

I could, I suppose, read some classics, but in keeping with the general theme/mission of my blog, I'm going with new hardcover releases. Three of my favorite Southern authors have new novels coming out this summer, so it made my picks pretty easy:

Return to Sullivan's Island by Dorothea Benton Frank

Last Light Over Carolina by Mary Alice Monroe

The Fixer Upper by Mary Kay Andrews

If you're a Southern book junkie like I am, head on over and sign up!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will have to check this out. I am in another challenge right now and I don't want to get into to many. lol..

I am having a book giveaway on my blog. stop by and check it out!

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

Return To Sullivans Island?! I didn't know DBF had a new one coming out - I'll be looking for that one! I'm a HUGE Mary Kay Andrews fan and look forward to hers as well.

I've never participated in a challenge, but this sounds like one I would love. Hhhmmm.... Enjoy your books!

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I'm expecting a copy of The Fixer Upper any day from the publisher. I'm going to add that to my list for this challenge.

Nise' said...

A new book by Mary Alice Monroe and Mary Kay Andrews, goody! Going to put it on my TBR list right now.