Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sunday Salon: Weekend Wrap-Up


I saw the highly anticipated Julie and Julia movie this weekend, and it exceeded my expectations. While I really enjoyed the book, I had read several reviews that lauded the "Julia" portions of the movie (What do you expect? It's the great Meryl Streep!) and expressed disappointment in the "Julie" parts of the movie.

I, thankfully, found this not to be the case. I was equally enthralled by both elements, watching these characters develop as cooks and the impact of food on their lives. It makes me want to work my way through an entire cookbook...just not a Julia Child one! :)

Needless to say, it's a "must see."

Also, I finished The Embers by Hyatt Bass, an intriguing story of a family so fractured that the notion of putting themselves back together seemed nearly impossible...but their path toward reconciliation was thoroughly engaging.

Finally, I read in one sitting today That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo, who consistently writes books that make you put aside everything else to keep reading...and his latest doesn't fail to deliver.

8 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

You made my Sunday evening. I won Julie and Julia (and plan to see the movie), and I have Taht Old Cape Magic waiting for me a the library ready to pick up tomorrow am.

I am so glad you enjoyed both. Thanks Jill

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Jill, I'm SO happy to read your thoughts about the new Russo book. I can't wait to read it! Will you review it?

Melissa said...

I enjoyed Julie and Julia, the book, for for some reason I'm feeling meh about seeing the movie. But if it's must see, I may have to break down...

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Thanks for the input ... I have JULIE & JULIA on my TBR and will read it before I see the movie (likely Netflix!)

I've only read EMPIRE FALLS by Russo, but have already put THAT OLD CAPE MAGIC on my wish list - what a great endorsement you give it :)

bermudaonion said...

I can't wait to see the movie - I'm hoping to go next weekend.

Jess said...

I am really looking forward to seeing the movie -- thanks for the sneak peek!

vvb32 reads said...

glad to hear the movie was just as good as the book. i look forward to watching it now.

Jess said...

I am going to have a discussion of Julie and Julia on my blog on August 30th -- I would love it if you could join us!